Guide: Data Visualization

Okay, so you finished your data analysis and found that there were statistically significant differences. You then ran a post-hoc test and found exactly where these differences were. Now what? Graph time!

Choosing the right graph or chart for you data can be challenging. You can’t just plot a bunch of points and call it a graph. Your graph needs to display your findings clearly and effectively. When I was creating figures and tables for my thesis, I often had to revise them multiple times until I found the right visualization.
This guide will help you select the appropriate figure and troubleshoot problems that may arise when using Julius to create them.

Types of Data Visualizations

1. Bar Chart: Used for comparing values of different categories or groups.
    Example: monthly sales performance of different products

2. Line Chart: Ideal for showing trends over time or continuous data.

Example: Temperature variation over a week in city, with each point specifying the temperature at a specific time.

1. Pie Chart: Useful for displaying parts of a whole, though less popular in scientific articles.
    Example: Distribution of a company’s quarterly expenses.

2. Histogram: Effective for displaying the distribution of continuous data. Useful in exploratory analysis to examine skew, normality and kurtosis.
    Example: Distribution of ages in a population sample.

3. Scatterplot: Used for visualizing the relationship between two continuous variables.
    Example: Relationship between study hours and exam scores for students, with study hours on the x-axis and exam scores on the y-axis.

4. Box Plots (my favourite!): Helpful for displaying the distribution of datasets and highlighting outliers.
    Example: Distribution of salaries in a company; showing minimum, maximum, median, and quartiles of the dataset.

5. Heatmap: Displays patterns and relationships in large datasets.
    Example: Correlation matrix of stock prices for portfolio of assets. Each cell in the map indicates a correlation coefficient between two of the stocks, with the warmer colours (red) representing stronger positive correlations and cooler colours (blue) representing strong negative correlations.

6. Polar Plots (also a personal favourite): Uses polar coordinates to represent data, with radial and angular axis.
    Example: Mapping animal movement patterns to see directional preferences.

Troubleshooting Graphs on Julius

Question 1a: I want Julius to create a simple bar graph of the monthly sales performance on different products.
Prompt 1a: Can you create a simple bar graph that displays the monthly sales performance of different products?

Correction: This graph is not what I wanted. Although it’s clean, I want a simple bar graph, not a stacked one. Let’s try again, being more specific:

Prompt 1b: Using the data from this chart, can you create a simple bar graph where each bar represents a product, showing the monthly sales performance across one year?

This is closer to what I wanted to display but still not perfect. Let’s refine the prompt:

Prompt 1c: Can you create a grouped bar chart illustrating the mean monthly sales performance of different products (Product A, Product B, Product C, and Product D) over a year, with four bars for each month?

This is the bar graph is closer to what I envisioned, but it is still messy. The bar graph from Prompt 1b would probably be better for showing annual mean sales comparisons. However, I want to see how sales change over time, so let’s try another visualization.

Prompt 2a: Can you create a line graph showing the trend of total sales over the year?

Julius created a graph showing the overall trend of sales over the year, but I wanted to see the trend for all four products. Let’s try again:

Almost done! I just want to make each graph a different colour and remove the headings and gridlines for a cleaner look.

Prompt 2b: Can you create a line graph for each product please?

Almost done! I just want to make each graph a different colour and remove the headings and gridlines to create a crisper look.

Prompt 2c: Can you make Product A blue, Product B orange, Product C green and Product D red please, and remove the headings and gride lines for each graph please?

For the guide, I combined these instructions into one prompt, but typically you should separate them.

Now we just need a legend!

Final Note: Include standard error bars or standard deviations on your graphs to show the variability of your dataset. Since I used a fictional dataset, I did not have the additional information to include these. However, your dataset should have them, and I encourage you to place them on any graph you make.

Happy graphing!

Keywords: AI, GPT 4, Claude 3, Data Analysis, Data Science, AI, Statistics, Statistical Analysis, Data Visualization, Graph Type, Charts

3 Likes

Hello,have you tried this on Julius please?

You might have mistaken the forum for the Julius website. If you head over to Julius.ai, you can paste these questions and get the plots.

Can you please give a try?

I can but I will not.

I would suggest you get an account and use Julius, it’s really worth it.

This forum’s purpose is not for getting free analyses, it’s for getting information on how to use Julius effectively by learning from other users.

Good luck!

Hello Antonio,
I think there is misunderstanding about my reply. This was not a reply of this thread.i replied by email and don’t know how this reply came for this thread.
By the way,I m using Julius and also wrote one ebook in Bengali.

Best regards